Home  |   Club Information  |   Past Events  |   Upcoming Events  |   Members Only
Member Vehicles  |   Awards  |   Flag Display  |   Market Place  |   Links

Lone Star MVPA Radio Section
Radio Section 
ARRL Links 
Call Signs 
Study Materials 
Photos / Illustrations 
Work Arounds 
  "The modern military is heavily dependent on electronics and computers. Although the telegraph and telephone had already revolutionized military communications, World War II started an explosion of applications of electronics to military needs. From crude crank telephones and heavyweight radios in the 1940s to today's Internet-enabled battlefield, the use of electronic devices has become embedded in warfare."   olive-drab.com

  Here is a good layout of wach band and what modes are used where. We will be using 6 meters.
  The Clansman battery rebuild is done and now with a capicity of 1800 mAh! The first part was to dig out the old cells from the case which were sealed in expanding foam. The empty case then went to Batteries Plus where it received 20 sub C NiCD cells which were tacked together in series to get 24V. Then I brought it back to my shop to repair the initial issue of the DCCU immediately flashing green. I found one of the temprature sensing diodes was dammaged and needed to be replaced. After exausting all my resources I found an article on rebuilding the battery that used two 1N4148 diodes in series in place of the one diode. I replaced the ambient diode and the one that was in the middle of the cells with this setup. I found that it is criticle that they match or it will either flash green or over charge the battery. After several tests everything works great! The DCCU will go green when the battery is charged ( the difference of temprature between the ambient diode and the one on the calls ). I also added silicone to keep everything in place and some neoprene to protect the top of the cells from the cover. Finally the lid was rivited back in place. Here are some pictures of the project. Total cost was $97 for the batteries and tack welding them in series and I had everything else. Well worth the cost knowing the condition and an extra 800 mAh over the 1000 mAh ( actually less considering the age of the batteries ). Next I will rebuild a 4000 mAh battery. I am trying to decide on the 4000 mAh NiCD's or the 10,000 mAh NiMH cells. Not too sure how the DCCU will work with NiMH cells.